Senior Quality Software Engineer
Ann Arbor, MI
Are you excited to be a part of a great quality engineering team and improve the ways people learn and do research? We make knowledge accessible to millions of users globally through our innovative platform every day. Come help ITHAKA expand our mission and build the next generation of JSTOR.
The Quality Software Engineering team is a dynamic and flexible group that works to ensure product and methods quality for all new development initiatives by emphasizing continuous process improvement, user focus, defect prevention and detection strategies. Our Quality Software Engineers are responsible for feature/function validation and verification, while also building and maintaining automation infrastructures and test suites in a Continuous Integration (CI)/Continuous Delivery (CD) environment. You will work closely with product managers, developers, and architects to design great user stories and to translate success criteria to testable technical deliverables which support business goals and organizational KPI’s. You are an end-to-end quality advocate for your team which means you innovate to deliver quality products and services to production quickly.
Using engineering best practices, design and develop test automation frameworks and scripts for UI, database and ReSTful services across multiple products and services.
– Contribute to code design and tooling strategies taking into account our context and constraints.
– Ensure that test automation follows a consistent, maintainable, and extendable architecture.
– Guide your team and foster a culture of accountability helping them to discuss and decide together desired quality standards and thresholds.
– Interface closely with engineers and system architects to ensure applications are designed to be testable.
– Adhere to agile methodologies and foster collaboration and continuous improvements on your scrum team.
– Perform user story validation including the use of exploratory test methodologies.
– Clearly communicate test activities, escalation of problems, improvement opportunities and results in oral and written methods for a diverse audience.
– Run automation suites and evaluate results as builds that are deployed to the test environment, ensuring bug reports are submitted and tracked in accordance with unit procedures.
– Identify and clearly document errors and inconsistencies in the functionality, usability, and performance of the software using defect tracking tools.
– Help to define automation best practices.
– Lead software development process improvement activities.
– Provide input on QA initiatives and work closely with members of the leadership team to ensure completion of milestones.
– Participate in candidate interviews for QA positions and provide feedback to the hiring manager.
Experience and Skills
– BS in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent practical experience including a minimum of 5 years’ experience in software testing; 5 years in web or service endpoint and data integrity testing; 4-5 years developing automated test scripts in a professional software development environment.
– Strong object-oriented programming skills.
– Proficient with test automation approaches and processes (tools/technology preferences include Cucumber, Selenium, Docker, Git, CI/CD, and JIRA).
– Able to write automated tests using a language such as Ruby, Python, or Java.
– Able to create performance test scripts for UI and web services.
– Experience creating and extending complex test automation frameworks.
– Familiarity with relational databases such as PostgreSQL and MySQL.
– Solid background performing data validation testing; experience with tools such as Hadoop, Apache Spark, Hive, or Redshift strongly preferred.
– Experience working in a test-first development environment.
– Working knowledge of debugging and root cause analysis.
– Strong technical documentation skills.
– Team player with an ability to work collaboratively with others.
Work for ITHAKA
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust.
Our team is passionate about our mission and supporting one another. We enjoy working together to create opportunities for people to learn and grow out in the world, and we bring that same commitment to helping our teammates develop in our careers and our lives. One of our core values is belonging. We embrace differences, and believe that the things that make each of us unique are the things that help us see new insights and build better solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.