We’re looking for an experienced and community-focused front-end web developer to join our team and help us build the features on Glitch that will help keep it the friendliest community of coders ever! ✨
Our Community Health Engineer will work with the rest of the team to brainstorm, prototype and implement community health features on Glitch, like reporting abuse or displaying safe search results. This role requires both technical skills and the ability to communicate with the Glitch community.
We want someone who will be actively thinking about the effects of our design and features on the community as we grow, and can interact with the community to make sure we’re doing it right.
We’re looking for people with these technical skills:
- An ability to stay up-to-date on modern additions to the language (like ES7 features)
- Experience in building a11y-compliant interfaces right from the start
- Proficiency in component-based development (Glitch uses React!)
- Understanding of and experience in using APIs, both internal and 3rd party
- CSS savvy, meaning that you know when to use border vs. padding vs. margin, flexbox vs. tables vs. floats, and responsive, fluid design
We’d be particularly delighted to hire someone with:
- User interface (UI) and user experience (UX) skills – enough to better collaborate with the designers on our team to make sure our health features are inclusive and relevant to our community health goals.
- Experience and/or interest in speaking at technical conferences – so we can communicate our work to the tech community and be a model for others in a similar space.
- A passion for online communities and an understanding of the interplay between interfaces and human interactions.
The interpersonal skills will be crucial to your success in this role:
- Effective, responsive and frequent multi-platform communication to make sure we hear and deliver on the needs of the Glitch community
- Ability to translate, communicate, and prioritize the needs and desires of the community with the needs and desires of the organization.
- Enthusiasm for our inclusion goals and an ability to help us measure and promote our progress in working towards them.
- Willingness to help us create a roadmap for creating and maintaining a best-in-class healthy community as we grow and evolve.
Most importantly, we’re looking for:
- People who care deeply about empowering everyone to create on the web, and who are thoughtful about how to serve a broad set of audiences with sometimes conflicting community goals.
- Fluency and familiarity with issues around multiple facets of accessibility and healthy communities.
- Comfort with creating in collaboration, both with colleagues on our team and with members of the Glitch community.
- Ability to both handle projects and effectively delegate projects.
This position is based at our beautiful new office in Lower Manhattan. While our office is in New York City, about half of our employees are all over the US and the world. When you work at HQ, you’ll be in a brand new office, carefully and thoughtfully designed to give each person both private and collaborative work spaces. You’ll be part of a remote work culture where all of our meetings are online and apps and tools like Slack and Google Hangouts are the normal way to communicate. Remote workers never end up struggling to hear a meeting where everybody in the office forgot that someone was on the other end of a speakerphone.
We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The range for this position is $75K to $115K and we look at factors like your experience to determine our offer, which comes with a comprehensive benefits package. We don’t negotiate because we make our best possible offer up front—no games.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.