The Director of Communications & Content Strategy is part of the leadership team in the Communications & Marketing office at Gettysburg College, reporting to the Executive Director of Communications & Marketing. This position helps to establish the conceptual and strategic direction for content development and leads the content production team in creating, integrating, disseminating, measuring, and repurposing content through all College channels, including the magazine, website, social media, presidential remarks, and various marketing campaigns. This position also provides strategic counsel, editorial direction, and messaging for the College’s key audiences and stakeholders, including issues as they pertain to Gettysburg College’s brand and reputation. This position also serves on the Campus Emergency Response Team in an advisory capacity. The successful candidate will be both forward thinking in leading the team to think innovatively about the content it produces and distributes, as well as strategic in supporting communications around key issues facing the College and the higher education landscape.
The primary responsibilities of this position are as follows:
• Serve as an integral part of a communications team that works to fulfill high-level College goals and initiatives related, but not limited, to Gettysburg’s communications and marketing strategy, admissions marketing strategy, development communications, presidential communications, alumni communications, and student, faculty and staff communications.
• Develop and oversee the College’s overarching production and distribution strategy for marketing content; aligning objectives to content decisions through story finding, scheduling, audience segmentation, and performance metrics.
• Oversee the content and production of Gettysburg College Magazine.
• Supervise, support, and guide 3 communications and marketing professionals in fulfilling the editorial and other content responsibilities associated with strategic communications.
• Work in close collaboration with lateral peers, particularly in web, social media, video, and creative services to ensure content is integrated, relevant, and strategic.
• Work in collaboration with the executive director around strategic institutional communications, presidential positioning, and media opportunities.
• Champion the Gettysburg College brand and serve as a campus resource for questions and training on all aspects related to content strategy and content decision making.
• Ensure performance of content is regularly analyzed and make data-informed decisions on content strategy.
• Establish a high standard for writing that can be effectively emulated by the entire campus community to the College’s benefit.
• Ensure the accuracy of all facts and data used in marketing communications.
• Conduct or review research into issues related to the College, its admissions and development goals, and related subjects in higher education. Analyze and apply relevant information, including benchmarking, to shape communications strategy.
• This position will serve on the Communications & Marketing office Crisis Emergency Response Team.
Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, marketing, communications, journalism, or related field and at least seven to ten years of professional experience is required.
The candidate will oversee three members of the Communications & Marketing team. Previous supervisory experience is highly preferred. Gettysburg College seeks candidates who have the communication skills and cross-cultural abilities to maximize their effectiveness with diverse groups of students, colleagues, and community members
The Director of Communications & Content Strategy must have proven analytical and problem-solving skills, the ability to work independently and work effectively as part of a team, work on a deadline, ability to manage multiple projects, ability to manage and motivate teams, and experience in marketing to diverse audiences. Excellent interviewing and storytelling skills, superior grammar and writing ability, a data-driven mindset, copy-editing experience, excellent news judgment and enterprise in finding and following up on stories is required.
Additional qualifications include: previous supervisory experience; professional experience sourcing, producing, scheduling, and measuring multi-channel marketing content; experience working or writing for an educational institution; experience with social media platforms and/or digital advertising; experience executing a crisis communications plan and serving as a media spokesperson; experience editing and managing the creation of a magazine or other publications; knowledge of and/or experience with graphic design principles; knowledge of and/or experience with visual or audio storytelling; knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) principles; creating content campaigns; optimizing content for conversion; experience in podcasting.
To apply for this job please visit gettysburg.peopleadmin.com.