ARE YOU A FRIENDLY FRONT-END DEVELOPER?
Friendly Design Co is seeking a full-time Front-End Developer. This position develops and implements websites in WordPress and other common content management systems.
As a key member of a small team, our developer works closely with our designers, project producers, and partners as well as client teams to ensure site development advances project goals, user experience, and visual design. You should have a penchant for problem solving, an excitement for getting the details just right, and an ability to work independently on multiple projects.
Friendly’s work primarily involves visual identity design and website design & development. We are collaborators, both internally and externally, who work with niche and not-for-profit clients that not only believe in doing good work for their audiences, but who also respect our process and people. We are purposeful, practical, and thoughtful while being open, spirited, and fun. We create delightful experiences for our clients and their audiences and design the best possible solution to the challenge at hand. A successful candidate for this position should exhibit both an interest in the role, and applying their work to improve our communities.
This position may be filled by a remote applicant in the U.S., but our preference is for a candidate near one of our offices in Washington, DC or Omaha, NE.
Roles & Responsibilities
Our ideal candidate:
– Can develop responsive, front-end code that works across a wide array of devices and browsers
– Embraces experimentation and prototyping in their workflow
– Has a keen eye for details and takes pride in the little things that separate good and great work (the type that believes in the life-changing magic of well-commented code and GitHub readme files)
– Sets standards and establishes a base setup for projects
– Documents their production work as well as CMS structure and usage for clients and partners
– Works with UX and visual designers to determine needs and goals, review wireframes and mockups to provide internal feedback, and introduce some new ways of approaching interactions or features
– Can work with our project producer to establish scopes and timelines
– Can effectively communicate with clients, colleagues, and vendors
– Is comfortable training and teaching clients how to use their CMS
– Can maintain sites for existing clients (minor bug fixes, plugin/site updates, etc.), even for sites other developers may have produced
– Stays up to date on accessibility guidelines and best practices, and is able to implement them in their work
– Is self-motivated and can self-manage to complete tasks and meet deadlines
– Is eager to expand their skills, try new tools, and create best practices
– Appreciates new technology, follows design trends and best practices, understands usability, and loves typography
– Enjoys being a part of a close-knit team
– Cares about the work that they do, its ethical implications, and the impact their work has on the world
– At least 3-5 years experience in a front-end development role, creating strategic digital solutions
– Proficient with HTML/CSS, PHP, Sass, and knowledge of build systems like Gulp
– Experience implementing custom CMS-based websites with WordPress or similar systems (experience with other frameworks is a plus)
– Ability to implement necessary WordPress or equivalent plugins like MemberPress, and Events Calendar Pro
– Experience building websites that are:
– – Performance-optimized
– – Accessible, including 508 compliance
– – Search-engine friendly
– Ability to perform database migration as well as minor sysadmin tasks (adjusting server settings, deployment flows, explaining domains and DNS settings, etc.)
– Knowledge and experience with GitHub for source control and bug and issue tracking
– Outstanding commitment, professionalism, leadership, enthusiasm, flexibility, and sense of humor
– Experience working in a creative agency is preferred
– Competency with User Experience design methodologies and processes would be bonus
– Full Medical insurance from one of our Gold Tier plans
– Full Dental and Vision Insurance
– Life and Disability Insurance
– Generous PTO, medical leave, and Holidays
– Up to 12 weeks of concurrent Parental leave
– Simple IRA matching
– Professional development budget
– Membership dues for professional association of your choice
– State-of-the-art workstation
– Generous remote and flex work
– Monthly team outings (and by outings, we mean everyone sets their Zoom background to a faraway land)
At Friendly, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color, and people with disabilities. If this job listing doesn’t describe you perfectly but you feel there is a strong reason for you to be considered, get in touch and tell us why you want to work with us!
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.