About The Role
Glitch is a fun, expressive and opinionated development environment without all the boring parts of software development. It’s a community of creators, building together and discovering each other. It’s an ambitious undertaking for our small team, so we’re hoping you can help us!
We’re looking for an experienced interface designer (UX/UI) who also develops to join our team and help us design and build Glitch community and editor features from conception to completion. You’ll be joining a team of creators who all bring varied experiences and design skill to their work as developers. If you blur the line between design and code, have a portfolio, and you’ve created an amazing, cool, interesting, or weird app, then you’re in the right place! ✨
This position is based at our beautiful new office in Lower Manhattan, but we’ll happily consider remote candidates. While our office is in New York City, over half of our employees are all over the US and the world. When you work at HQ, you’ll be in a brand new office, carefully and thoughtfully designed to give each person both private and collaborative work spaces. You’ll be part of a remote work culture where all of our meetings are online and apps and tools like Slack, Trello and Google Hangouts are the normal way to communicate. Remote workers never end up struggling to hear a meeting where everybody in the office forgot that someone was on the other end of a speakerphone.
We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The range for this position is $95K to $105K and we look at factors like your experience to determine our offer, which comes with a comprehensive benefits package. We don’t negotiate because we make our best possible offer up front—no games.
We’re looking for people with:
- Strong user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) skills, with a portfolio that reflects your knowledge of these principles
- Proficiency with Sketch and Adobe Illustrator
- Skilled in client-side JS, and are up to date on modern additions to the language (DOM, ES6, Promises)
- Proficiency in at least one frontend framework (React, Angular, Backbone, Ember, Vue, or other similar tools)
- CSS savvy, you know when to use:
- border vs. padding vs. margin
- flexbox vs. tables vs. floats
- responsive, fluid design
We’d be particularly delighted to hire someone with:
- Illustration experience and an understanding of animation principles
- Some backend experience (you don’t need to be an expert but you shouldn’t be afraid to dig into server side complications)
Most importantly, we are looking for:
- People who care deeply about empowering everyone to create on the web, and who are thoughtful about how to serve a broad set of audiences
- Fluency and familiarity with issues around accessibility and inclusive design
- Clear opinions on aesthetic design, and a willingness to both take feedback and advocate for a design direction
- Comfort with creating in collaboration, both with colleagues on our team and with members of the Glitch community
We want you to know
We welcome you, as you are, to work at Fog Creek. We’re removing the structural barriers and daily frustrations that too many tech companies inflict on underrepresented workers. From day one, our company has been about respecting and valuing our workers, and you’ll be supported by every level of our organization when you join our team. We support workplace diversity.
Fog Creek Software, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. If you have a disability, we’re more than happy to accommodate and make the interview process better for you.