CollegeVine is looking for a senior designer to help define the future of guidance, mentorship, and higher education attainment.
The right applicant for this role has proven experience with leading Product design from start to finish, is well versed in the UX and UI processes involved, cares about the big goals their work helps achieve, and is discerning about company culture.
First, we are leveling the playing field of higher education for all students, regardless of socioeconomic status. To do this, we intend to make virtual guidance services available and affordable for all through a combination of near-peer mentorship and technology. As a Designer at an early-stage company with national reach, you will influence the entire next generation of high schoolers and college grads-to-be. We encourage all applicants to learn more at https://www.collegevine.com.
Second, we are looking for candidates who wish to join an R&D organization centered around autonomy, authenticity, excellence, and pragmatism.
A few things to know about us:
- You will be working within the design team and closely alongside an engineering team. They both care a lot about product.
- Old-school ed-tech user experiences are not acceptable to us. Our offerings must impress and work for a wide audience since we serve students and their families. On any given day, our product is used by high schoolers, college students, young professionals, guidance counselors, parents, and grandparents from all walks of life.
- Expect autonomy in exchange for transparency and results. Since you are well-read, curious, and self-aware, we will treat you like the awesome, interesting adult that you are. We have core hours and a goal-based environment; we understand mindfulness and the value of deep focus (see benefits below).
- And finally, we hope to set and maintain a level of excellence in the tools we build.
What We Expect From You
- A portfolio of work demonstrating your process, the business context, the final product, learnings, and results. We especially appreciate an ability to make the case for the value of design via compelling case studies.
- 3+ years of industry experience, including team leadership
Ability to complete assigned work at high quality with regular check-ins, plan your own workload, and participate in prioritization & business discussions.
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Tendency to ask really good questions
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates UI & UX best practices
- Proven experience in UI & UX design, preferably in a startup environment
- Ability to think in systems & understand how UI/UX affect each other
- Attention to detail, while prioritizing the most important things
- Ability to deliver visual UI design at a quality that competes with the best products out there.
- Efficient use of the tools your typical workflow requires
- Excellent communication skills (as demonstrated throughout your workflow: from documenting your design output, to “winning hearts and minds” before you move forward on a project)
- BONUS: Background or experience with tutoring and/or mentorship
- Full ownership of solving user problems start to finish: from participating in initial research, to delivering polished UI
- Communicate use cases to the Engineering team through well-documented design output
- Own the quality of your work from conception (discover risks and dependencies early!) to final delivery (work with the QA team, respond to unexpected use cases, and do a little happy dance when your work makes someone else’s day)
- We offer a competitive salary, equity, and a full suite of benefits, some of them unconventional, but awesome for the right person:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance with a very generous employer contribution.
- Regular team dinners and company outings.
- A culture of mentorship. Become the near-peer mentor for one (or more!) of our consultants or program managers and be the help you wish you had.
- Flexible hours with a 4-hour core – plan the rest of your workday as you wish, just give us the majority of your most creative hours. Productivity ideas: avoid traffic, never wait in line at the grocery store, wake up without an alarm clock, be around for your family.
- Goal-based environment (as opposed to grind-based or decree-based environment; work smarter, not harder; intelligently, not mindlessly). We collaborate on setting goals, but you set your own process for accomplishing those goals. You will be entrusted with a lot of responsibility and you might even experience fulfillment and self-actualization as a result.
- Join an R&D culture that celebrates mindfulness and takes the quality of your attention seriously. We don’t spam our slack channels; your manager will not come tap you on the shoulder asking for pointless things; we write things down after we discuss them in person; we try to minimize meetings.
This position is based in Cambridge, MA. You must be willing and able to join us at our Cambridge office near the Alewife T Station for a majority of the workday.
Expect autonomy in exchange for transparency and results. Since you are well-read, curious, and self-aware, we will treat you like the awesome, interesting adult that you are. We have core hours and a goal-based environment; we understand mindfulness and the value of deep focus. We’re chasing a big idea and we need every good teammate we can find.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.