AARP publications is seeking an ambitious Associate Art Director to join our creative team, art directing and designing for AARP The Magazine (America’s most-read magazine), AARP Bulletin, digital iterations of the publications, and a variety of other special print and digital projects. This is a position for a self-starter, big thinker, who thrives in a fast-paced environment and has a proactive work style—eager, with the desire and ability to craft the smallest of sidebars to the most complex multipart features.
We’re looking for a candidate with national magazine experience. Applicants welcome from New York and beyond. Relocation assistance offered.
• Art concept and lay out department pages and features for AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin, digital iterations and any associated collateral. Must have the ability to design and package complex features with multiple stories and to adapt quickly to changes in editorial or design direction. Strong typographic skills are essential.
• Collaborate with photo editors to offer input and art direction on photo shoots and photo-research requests.
• Broad knowledge of editorial illustration, and experience assigning and giving art direction to illustrators.
• Work well under pressure; multitask and adhere to tight deadlines. Must be driven and detail oriented—strong organizational and time-management skills are a must.
• Ability to work independently, collaborate with editors and execute the vision of the senior design staff.
Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in art and design and 5+ years of experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position.
Proficient in Adobe CC—InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
Online portfolio of work
National magazine experience preferred
To apply for this job please visit adtrk.tw.